The Basic Rules Of Artistic Professional Film Editing
With the various types of video editing software available in the market nowadays, it is quite possible that all of us can turn into video editors without much ado. The whole process is as simple as cutting and pasting documents from one file to another, and the visual impression of the master and final copies makes it simpler. But, we must remember that film editing is not just a technical affair; it is more of an art form. If the final edited film has to be interesting to watch, there are some basic tenets that need to be kept in mind. This article is about the important rules that one must keep in mind to create professional film editing:-
1. The Overall Length - A very significant part of your final edited film is the total length it will take. You have to make sure that after editing the film is cut to a length that is neither too short nor too long. A professional film editor will keep in mind the total length before making any cuts or additions to the raw material.
2. The Length of Each Shot - Another important consideration is the length of each shot in the edited film. Typically, each scene or shot should be no longer than 30 seconds, and even that is too much. In fact, small snippets can be edited and put together to make a more interesting watch. For example if it is a wedding video, then instead of having a very boring shot of people coming and giving their gifts to the bridal couple, an edited version with just a few snippets of the important people on the dais with the wedded couple makes for an interesting watch. You can collate many such snippets together to cover all of them.
3. The Point of Making the Edits - Your editing must be crisp. You must keep in mind where the edit will make the best sense. Think about the whole shot, and then consider whether putting an edit in a particular place will capture its entire essence or not.
4. Editing Seamlessly - One of the biggest identifying factors of amateur video editing is the distance or the jump between shots. Professional film editing will contain shots that are so seamlessly blended with each other that you cannot even make out that you are moving on from one shot to another.
5. About Adding Additional Features - With professional film editing software, you can add a lot of additional audio and video features into your videos, but you must make sure whether these additions will do justice to the film or not. Like, if someone is giving a speech and you introduce music onto the clip, it doesn't make any sense. Also, try to play with colors and make the video look natural.